What Is Gladys Knight’s Net Worth?
|Net Worth||$28 Million|
|Born||May 28, 1944|
|Age||78 years old|
|Birthplace||Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.|
|Source of Wealth||Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Businesswoman, Author|
Gladys Knight is an American professional singer, songwriter, actress, businesswoman, and author. She is known worldwide as the “Empress of Soul.” As of 2022, she has accumulated an estimated net worth of $28 million.
She is best known for her several hit records (both with and without her group, the Pips), including “Midnight Train to Georgia,” “That’s What Friends Are For,” and many more.
Knight has won seven Grammy Awards (four as a solo artist and three with the Pips) and is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as well as the Vocal Group Hall of Fame.
Would you like to know more about her? Let’s check out her biography, wiki, age, height, husband, and more…!
Let’s dive in and grab some inspiring lessons from Gladys Knight’s success story…!
Gladys Knight’s Biography/ Wikipedia/ Wiki
|Real Name||Gladys Maria Knight|
|Famous As||Empress of Soul|
|Birth Date||May 28, 1944|
|Age||78 years old|
|Height||5 ft 3 in (1.61 m)|
|Weight||121.25 lbs (55 kg)|
|Children||Shanga Hankerson, James, Kenya|
|Net Worth||$28 Million|
|Profession||Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Businesswoman, Author|
How Was Gladys Knight Early Life and Education?
Gladys Knight’s real name is Gladys Maria Knight, and she was born in Atlanta, Georgia. She was raised by her father, Merald Woodlow Knight Sr., a postal worker, and her mother, Sarah Elizabeth.
She made her solo debut at Atlanta’s Mount Moriah Baptist Church when she was four years old. She was soon given a prize for her performance on the Ted Mack Amateur Hour.
She has received an Honorary Doctorate in Performing Arts from Shaw University.
How Did Gladys Knight Start Her Career?
Gladys Knight started her career at the age of 8 by forming a group called “Pips” with her siblings and cousins in 1952.
The Pips’ careers did not take off until they signed up with Motown Records in the mid-1960s and collaborated with songwriter/producer Norman Whitfield.
In 1973, Knight and the Pips left Motown for Buddah Records, an Arista subsidiary (the group later took Motown to court for unpaid royalties).
“Neither of Us Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye,” their final Motown single, became the Pips’ first No. 1 crossover hit in 1973, earning them a Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Performance.
Gladys Knight and the Pips were riding high during the mid-1970s, with a smoother, more accessible sound, a hit album, Imagination (1973), and three gold singles.
Knight and the Pips signed with MCA Records and released their final album, All Our Love, in 1988, which included the Grammy-winning single “Love Overboard.”
In addition to her musical career, she had a recurring role in the 1994 television series New York Undercover. Knight has also appeared in JAG and Living Single. In 2009, she made her acting debut in Tyler Perry’s I Can Do Bad All By Myself.
In 2012, she signed up for the cast of the well-known television competition Dancing with the Stars and competed against people like actress Melissa Gilbert, actor Jaleel White, and TV personality Sherri Shepherd.
Two years later, Where My Heart Belongs, a gospel-infused studio album, was released. In early 2019, it was announced that Knight would perform the national anthem before Super Bowl LIII.
Gladys Knight’s Personal Life
Knight married her first husband, an Atlanta musician named Jimmy Newman, and the couple had two children, James and Kenya.
Her second marriage to Barry Hankerson ended in divorce. Knight married author and motivational speaker Les Brown in 1995, but their marriage ended in 1997.
In 2001, Knight married William McDowell. Knight and William had seventeen grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren together. Knight and McDowell live in Asheville, North Carolina.
How Does Gladys Knight Make Her Money?
Her primary sources of income, from which she has amassed $28 million, are:
- Earnings as a Singer-songwriter
- Earnings as an Actor
- Earnings as an Author
- Earnings from Business
Gladys Knight’s Famous Quotes
“Sometimes the best things are right in front of you; it just takes some time to see them.”Gladys Knight
“If all I do in my life is soothe someone’s spirit with a song, then let me do that and I’m happy.”Gladys Knight
“I always kind of thought I want to be a good person, I want to be right to my fellow men and love them like we’re supposed to.”Gladys Knight
Gladys Knight Social Media Accounts
Movies and Television Shows/Series Appearance:
- Pipe Dreams (Maria Wilson) – 1976
- Desperado (Mona Lisa) – 1987
- Twenty Bucks (Mrs. McCormic) – 1993
- Hollywood Homicide (Olivia Robidoux) – 2003
- Unbeatable Harold (Phyllis) – 2006
- Holidaze: The Christmas That Almost Didn’t Happen (Candie) – 2006
- I Can Do Bad All by Myself (Wilma) – 2009
- Seasons of Love (Ms. Angie) – 2014
- Almost Christmas (Dorothy, Shelter Director) – 2016
- Coming 2 America (Herself) – 2021
- The Muppet Show (Herself) – 1981
- The Jeffersons (Herself) – 1983
- Charlie & Co. (Diana Richmond) – 1985–1986
- CBS Schoolbreak Special (Dr. Donna Robinson) – 1987
- A Different World (Herself) – 1988
- New York Undercover (Natalie) – 1994
- Living Single (Odelle Jones) – 1997
- Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child (Chocolate) – 1999
- The Jamie Foxx Show (Janice King) – 1996–2001
- American Juniors (Herself / Judge) – 2003
- JAG Etta (Unknown Soldier) – 2005
- 30 Rock (Herself) – 2008
- House of Payne (Herself) – 2009
- The First Family (Grandma Carolyn) – 2012–2013
- Hot in Cleveland (Miss Shonda) – 2015
- Star (Herself) – 2017
- Hawaii Five-0 (Ella Grover) – 2018
- The Masked Singer (Bee/Herself) – 2019
Gladys Knight Songs
- Miss Gladys Knight (1978)
- Gladys Knight (1979)
- Good Woman (1991)
- Just for You (1994)
- Many Different Roads (1998)
- At Last (2000)
- One Voice (with Saints Unified Voices) (2005)
- Before Me (2006)
- Another Journey (2013)
Gladys Knight Books
- At Home With Gladys Knight
- Between Each Line of Pain and Glory: My Life Story
Major Career Highlights
- Essence Award for Career Achievement (1992)
- Hollywood Walk of Fame (1995)
- Trumpet Awards Foundation Pinnacle Award (1997)
- BET Lifetime Achievement Award (2005)
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Jazz Artist (2007)
- Society of Singers Ella Award (2007)
- BET Inaugural Best Living Legend Award (2008)
- National Black Arts Festival Honoree at Legends Celebration (2008)
- Soul Train Music Awards (2011)
- Golden Plate Award (2019)
3 Success Lessons From Gladys Knight
- Do what makes you happy.
- Mistakes are part of life.
- Don’t be afraid of trying something new.
Gladys Knight is a seven-time Grammy Award winner, songwriter, actress, businesswoman, and author.
I hope Gladys Knight’s success story has inspired you to go after your dreams with a lot of passion and achieve them.
As per the recent updates, the net worth of Gladys Knight is $28 million…!
- Patti Labelle Net Worth
- Paula Abdul Net Worth
- Bebe Rexha Net Worth
- Melanie Martinez Net Worth
- Madison Beer Net Worth
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the frequently asked questions related to Gladys Knight, such as biography, age, height, etc.
What Is Gladys Knight’s Age?
Gladys Knight is currently 78 years old as she was born on May 28, 1944.
What disease does Gladys Knight have?
Gladys Knight has revealed that she is suffering from pancreatic cancer.
Where Does Gladys Knight Live?
Gladys Knight lives on a farm in North Carolina while her family lives in Las Vegas.
Is Gladys Knight Married?
Yes, Gladys has been married to William McDowell since 2001.
Gladys Knight’s religion?
Gladys Knight was previously a Baptist and then a Catholic before being baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1997.
(PS: This is not the exact net worth of Gladys Knight. The information is collected from various high authority web sources).